Subject: What_Buddha_Said 2828: The Noble Way!

From: "Bhikkhu Samahita" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 04:49:04 +0100

Friends:

The 4th Noble Truth: The Noble 8-fold Way ceases Suffering!

The blessed Buddha once said:
One should dwell reflecting on all phenomena as mental states in the light
of these 
Four Noble Truths
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/II/The_4_Noble_Truths.htm> . How does one
do so? Here, one sees, understands, and knows 
this, as it verily and really is: 

All this is suffering! 
Craving is causing all that suffering!
Absence of craving ceases all suffering!
This Noble 8-fold Way is the only method to cease all suffering!

And what, Bhikkhus, is this Noble Truth of the Way to cease all suffering? 
It is just this Noble 8-fold Way, namely:

Right View <http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_View.htm>
(sammā-ditthi)
Right Motivation
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Motivation.htm>
(sammā-sankappa)
Right Speech <http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Speech.htm>
(sammā-vācā)
Right Action <http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Action.htm>
(sammā-kammanta)
Right Livelihood
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Livelihood.htm>
(sammā-ājīva)
Right Effort <http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Effort.htm>
(sammā-vāyāma)
Right Awareness
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Awareness.htm>
(sammā-sati)
Right  <http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Concentration.htm>
Concentration
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/III/Concentration_Samadhi.htm>
(sammā-samādhi)

The 8 spokes in the Buddhist wheel each symbolizes a step on the Noble
8-fold Way.

And what, Bhikkhus and friends, is Right View
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_View.htm> ?
It is, Bhikkhus, knowing such is suffering, such is the cause of suffering, 
knowing such is the ceasing of suffering, and knowing such is the way
leading 
to the cessation of suffering. This is called Right View...
And what, Bhikkhus and friends, is Right Motivation
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Motivation.htm> ?
Being motivated by withdrawal, by good-will, and being motivated by utter 
harmlessness. This, Bhikkhus and friends, is called Right Motivation...
And what, Bhikkhus and friends, is Right Speech
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Speech.htm> ? 
Refraining from any lying, from slandering, from scolding, and refraining 
from empty gossip. This is called Right Speech...
And what, Bhikkhus and friends, is Right Action
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Action.htm> ? 
Refraining from all killing, from all stealing and cheating, and avoiding
all 
sexual misconduct. This is called Right Action... 
And what, Bhikkhus and friends, is Right Livelihood
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Livelihood.htm> ? 
Here, Bhikkhus and friends, the Noble Disciple, having given up all wrong 
livelihood, lives by right livelihood. This is called Right Livelihood... 
And what, Bhikkhus and friends, is Right Effort
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Effort.htm> ? 
Here, Bhikkhus and friends, one makes a decision, makes an effort, stirs up 
energy, exerts the mind and strives to prevent the arising of unarisen evil 
disadvantageous mental states. One makes a decision... and strives hard to 
overcome any evil disadvantageous mental state that already have arisen. 
One makes a decision... and strives to develop all yet unarisen advantageous

mental states. One makes a decision, makes an effort, stirs up energy, 
exerts the mind and strives to maintain any advantageous mental states, 
that already have arisen, not letting them fade away, growing them greater, 
to the fulfilled perfection of development. This is called Right Effort...
And what, Bhikkhus and friends, is Right Awareness
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Awareness.htm> ? 
Here, Bhikkhus, one dwells considering the body as a group of mere form, 
alert, clearly comprehending & aware, thereby ending worldly urge &
trouble...
One dwells considering feelings just as assigned responses, alert, clearly 
comprehending and aware, thereby ending all worldly urge and trouble...
One dwells considering mind & mentality just as ever changing moods, alert, 
clearly comprehending and aware, thereby ending worldly urge and trouble...
One dwells considering all phenomena only as always shifting mental states, 
alert, clearly comprehending & aware, thereby ending worldly urge &
trouble...
This is called Right Awareness...
And what, Bhikkhus and friends, is Right
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/What_is_Right_Concentration.htm>
Concentration
<http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/III/Concentration_Samadhi.htm> ? 
Secluded from sensual desires, protected from any detrimental mental state, 
one enters & dwells in the 1st jhāna; full of Joy & pleasure born of
solitude, 
joined with directed and sustained thought. 
Again, with the stilling of directed & sustained thought, one enters &
dwells 
in the 2nd jhāna, calmed and assured unification of mind, in joy & pleasure 
now born of a concentration, which is empty of all thought and thinking! 
Again, friends, with the fading away of joy, one dwells in equanimity, just 
aware & clearly comprehending, still feeling bodily pleasure, one enters 
upon & remains in the 3rd jhāna, regarding which the Noble Ones declare: 
'In aware Equanimity one dwells in Happiness!'...  
Again, friends, with the leaving behind of both pleasure and pain, & with 
the prior fading away of both joy & sorrow, one enters & dwells in the 4th 
jhāna; a serene mental state of still, open and clear awareness, purified by

the Equanimity of neither-pain-nor-pleasure! This is Right Concentration...
That, Bhikkhus, is called the Way leading to the Ceasing of all Suffering...

Further study on the Noble 8-fold Way:
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/II/The_Way.htm
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/II/Middle_Way.htm
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/II/Fulfilled_First_.htm
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/Noble_8_fold_Way.htm
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/IV/The_3-fold_Way.htm
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/II/Failed_by_Neglect.htm
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/The_Noble_8-Fold_Way.htm
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/Fruits_of_the_Noble_Way.htm

Source (edited extract):
The Long Speeches of the Buddha. Digha Nikāya. Book II [306-314]  
Thread: The Foundations of Awareness. Mahāsatipatthāna Sutta 22. 
http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=251033
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/digha/index.html

The Noble Way!

Have a nice & noble day!

signature.picBowing_Bhikkhu 
Friendship is the Greatest! 
 <http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Bhikkhu_Samahita> Bhikkhu
Samāhita _/\_ ]
 <http://what-buddha-said.net/> http://What-Buddha-Said.net

-- 
-- 
Related Buddhist site: http://What-Buddha-Said.net

Group Home: http://groups.google.com/group/What_Buddha_Said
 
Edit your membership to unsubscribed, normal email, 
summary, digest or no email here: 
http://groups.google.com/group/What_Buddha_Said/subscribe 

May all beings become thus Happy! 
Friendship is the GREATEST! 
Have a Nice Day! 

Bhikkhu Samahita

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "What_Buddha_Said" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.